PECSAETAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ash Cabin Rock Fall Cave / Rock Shelter

Go down

Ash Cabin Rock Fall Cave / Rock Shelter Empty Ash Cabin Rock Fall Cave / Rock Shelter

Post  Geoff Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:48 am

Location -
Hallam Moor, Wyming Brook area
Sheffield - Western Outskirts
OS Grid Reference SK 2715 8630

Park at the Wyming brook nature reserve car park just off Redmires road and head off up the stony root ridden path to the right of the main notice board, turn immediately right and pick up the main path a few metres in, the route follows Wyming Brook drive, a track no longer accessible to vehicles that should be visible initially to your right.
Follow the path for around half a kilometre passing the view point known as "big rock", after you've enjoyed the views out over the landscape carry on a further 50 metres or so till the path steps down a little and turns to your right, after a further 50 metres you'll need to start looking down to your right a little way below the edge for a large oblong rock that resembles a "Chesterfield" sofa or an elongated armchair, this makes up part of the shelters roof.
Taking care make your way down the edge and to the right of the "armchair" where you'll have to drop down a little ledge, the entrance to the shelter is to your immediate left.
Previously unknown to myself untlil early this year the site has no history i can find, i can't mind any info anywhere in fact so dating the "cave" is at present impossible, it would have certainly made an excellent retreat for the occupants of the near by ruined fort in times of trouble i have no doubt, the interior could accommodate around 30 - 40 people at a squeeze.
Although not "water tight" the cave would have made an adequate shelter, around 10 metres long and a metre wide there's also a chimney like opening at the far end that could have served as an outlet for the smoke of a warming fire.
The entrance is around a metre high but quickly gains height, at the far end over all height is around 2.3 metres, halfway along the interior as a small opening that allows light to stream in though a torch of some kind is a must if you want to see inside well.
By the entrance are a number of recent carvings dated to 1944, these are said to have been inscribed by German prisoners of war held in the area though i'm at present unable to substantiate this.

Ash Cabin Rock Fall Cave / Rock Shelter 05112009104

Geoff
Admin

https://pecsaetan.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down